Thursday, January 11, 2007

Cutlery Redux


"Some of the Villeroy & Boch cutlery is beautiful but it's obscenely expensive and really, does this kind of thing belong in the hands of someone who loses a teaspoon a month? I think not."
Looking back for my Christmas Eve post last year, I found one about my new cutlery set and how excited I got about it.

I was even then in love with a certain Villeroy & Boch set, but restrained myself on the grounds of cost and the above fact - teaspoons go a wandering in this house. I've been very happy with my full sets of cutlery this past year but browsing in David Jones for some Christmas shopping, I gazed at the V & B sets out of sheer curiousity. Sheer curiousity as the one set I love never ever goes on sale. Ever. And there it was, at 40% off. Still staggeringly expensive, but so beautiful and perfect, heavy, shiny and just right.

I hesitated for a second. And then I left the store and went home and counted my teaspoons. It seems I may have been a little harsh on myself and my magpie abilities. You see, of the original dozen teaspoons, I still had TWO LEFT. So it wasn't one a month going out with the peelings, it was only 0.83 of a teaspoon!

I still didn't buy the glossy set. At the time of writing we are down to one Luxor teaspoon and a startling number of the butter knives are missing in action (mostly cutting through packing tape on boxes but still ...). As it was a year ago, this sort of thing still doesn't belong in my hands ...

2 Comments:

At 11:25 PM, Blogger LBA said...

We have the same rule in this household: "we are allowed to have nice things when we learn to look after them".

I once had a TEACUP go out with the trash ( my son loves to 'clean' ), and yes on the teaspoons :(

This cutlery is lovely though ...

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger plum said...

Hi h&b - I don't think he's tossed out anything as large as a teacup but I know that I'm not responsible for ALL of the spoons!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home